Tuesday 20 October 2015

Pet Sematary - Stephen King

“And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity.”

Summary: The road in front of Dr. Louis Creed's rural Maine home frequently claims the lives of neighborhood pets. Louis has recently moved from Chicago to Ludlow with his wife Rachel, their children and pet cat. Near their house, local children have created a cemetery for the dogs and cats killed by the steady stream of transports on the busy highway. Deeper in the woods lies another graveyard, an ancient Indian burial ground whose sinister properties Louis discovers when the family cat is killed.

Pet Sematary remains as one of my favourite Stephen King's books and one of the finest horror stories I've ever read. The fact that I didn't expected much when I first read it nine years ago was important because it had some of the best plot twists I've read in a novel written by King.

That's why I recommend reading the book before watching the movie, knowing what is going to happen beforehand can ruin the shock this story causes on the reader so the less you know about the plot of this book the better.
I'll only say that this is a book about death in all its aspects and how it can influence on people, many characters deals and face it in different ways.
It also resembles in a certain way King's conception about death and destiny, both concepts explored in detail in The Dark Tower series.

This is a book that King himself has said to be his most terrifying story, he had a hard time finishing this book because it was inspired in some events that happened to his family while they were living in a house similar to the one the Creeds live. As I said before this was a book that really shocked me because of its brutality and the dark tone setted by King, it also deals with one of my worst fears.

As for the characters I have to say that they were great. It always surprise me how real Stephen King's character feel, he provides them with complicated and deep backgrounds that are very believable and doesn't feel artificial at all. The story is told by a narrator that focuses on doctor Creed mostly, but we get some chapters told from the point of view of other family members too.
Also it uses a technique that it's implemented by King in many of his books which consists in anticipating a shocking event at the start of a chapter. I find this to be excellent because even though the reader knows beforehand what is going to happen the event has the same shocking effect because of the ominous tone that the author sets when the chapter starts, giving the feeling of impending doom to the reader.

I think that the ending is one of Stephen King's finest, it's brutal and in tone with the dark atmosphere of the whole book. 

Rating 10+: In my opinion it's one of King's best horror books that isn't usually mentioned next to his most known works such as Misery, The Shinning, IT or Salem's Lot. Again, I'll say that the less you know about the plot the better because this book has one of the most terrific plot twists written by King.

No comments:

Post a Comment